Turkey Brining Solution
Recipe type: Misc.
- For the Brine:
- 1 cup Kosher Salt
- ½ cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbs. Black Peppercorns
- 1 Tbs. Allspice
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 4 Cloves Minced Garlic
- 1 Tbs. Rosemary
- 1 Tbs. Thyme
- ½ gal. Chickent Stock or Apple Cider
- 2 gal Cold Water
- Brining Bag or 5 gal Bucket
- For the Cavity:
- 1 Quartered and Cored Tart Apple
- ½ Peeled and Quartered Vidallia Onion
- 2 Sprigs Rosemary
- 2 Sprigs Thyme
- 2 Sprigs Sage
- 2 Sprigs Marjoram
- Bring all the ingredients except the chicken stock and apple cider to a boil in 1 gal. water over med-high heat stirring occasionally to dissolve the salt and sugar.
- Cool the mixture to room temperature and then chill in the refrigerator.
- Add the remaining gallon of water and the chicken stock or apple cider (we prefer the apple cider) to the mixture and stir. Place your fresh or thawed turkey in the brining bag or bucket and cover with the brining solution.
- Allow your bird to marinate in the brining solution between 8 and 24 hours.
- Wheb you are ready to roast your turkey, remove you bird from the brining solution, rinse it inside and out with cold water, and pat dry with paper towel. Add the remaining ingredients to the cavity of the bird, truss, and roast.
- For trussing and roasting instructions see Turkey Preparation in the Tips and Suggestions category of this web-site.