Recipe type: Soup
- 6 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1 med. onion chopped
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 celery stalks peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes or 6 peeled, seeded and diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 lb. lentils
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 cubes Chicken bullion
- 1 package pasta
- 1 cup grated parmesan or romano cheese
- In a large soup pot, heat 3 Tbs. olive oil, then add onions, celery and carrots and saute over medium/high heat.
- Once onions become transparent, add the garlic salt and pepper and continue to saute for another 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add the tomatoes, mix well, and continue simmering until tomatoes break down, stirring occasionally.
- Add the lentils, coating them well with the mixture, then add the chicken broth. Stir the contents until all is well incorporated then add thyme sprigs and 1 chicken bullion cube.
- Allow the soup to come to a boil, then simmer over low heat for 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Lentils are wonderful by themselves with Extra Virgin Olive Oil drizzled over them along with some Paresan or Romano cheese, or they can be served with noodles.
- In a separate pot cook pasta in water with 2 chicken bullion cubes in order to add flavor to your noodles, until al dente. Drain the noodles and return to the pot. Add the lentils to the noodles, as much as desired, and serve. Once plated, drizzle with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and sprinkle with Parmesan or Romano cheese.