Grilled Strip Steak:
- Prep time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Cook time: 20 mins
- Total time: 1 hour 35 mins
- Serves: 2 Steaks
- 2 T-Bone Steaks, strip removed
- 1½ tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground thyme, plus additional to garnish
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for basting
- 1 teaspoon butter, as topping
- Flat leaf parsley, to garnish
- Whisk together sugar, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and corn starch in a small bowl. Then set aside.
- With chef’s knife, remove strip steak by carefully cutting meat from long-side of the t-bone.
- Liberally apply dry rub to all portions of the steak.
- Wrap tightly with plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour, or up to 4 hours.
- Minutes prior to grilling, remove the steaks from the refrigerator, resting meat until near room temperature.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to high for indirect grilling, leaving one side of the grill off. Generously brush the grates with olive oil.
- Sear the steaks for 4 minutes per side.
- Move the steaks to the unlit part of the grill, cooking until the desired internal temperature is reached, basting intermittently with olive oil and flipping every 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the steaks from the grill and tent under tin foil for 5 minutes, allowing the meat to reabsorb its juices.
- To serve, season additionally to taste, top with light dollop of butter, and parsley to garnish.
- This recipe calls for thick strip steaks. Steaks that are thinner will take less time so plan accordingly.
Grilled Jonah Crab Claws:
- Prep time: 10 mins
- Cook time: 15 mins
- Total time: 25 mins
- Serves: 3 pounds crab claws
- 3 pounds Jonah Crab claws
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 cups beer
- ⅓ cup Old Bay seafood seasoning (substitution recipe to follow)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- Kosher salt and ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Place a heavy roasting pan over the grill grates and add the water, vinegar, beer, Old Bay, brown sugar, olive oil, cayenne pepper and salt and pepper to the pan. Bring to a raging boil.
- Slowly add the crab claws to roasting pan and cover the grill lid.
- Stirring intermittently, steam the crabs for 15-20 minutes or until just heated through.
- Remove the claws to a serving platter, season additionally with Old Bay, salt and pepper.
- Serve hot.
Old Bay Seasoning Substitution:
- ¼ tsp celery salt
- ¼ tsp ground bay leaves
- ¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp dry mustard
- Pinch nutmeg-fresh ground if possible
- Pinch cinnamon powder
- Pinch ground cloves
- Mix all ingredients together and use in place of ‘Old Bay Seasoning’ in any recipe!
- Store leftover spice blend in an airtight container.