Recipe type: Beef
- 3 cloves garlic
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 8 golden hamburger buns, split
- Hickory-smoked or alder-smoked salt
- 8 patties Choice ground round, 85% lean, ½-pound each, 1-inch thick
- 2 Vidalia onions
- 3 avocados
- 2 limes
- Small handful cilantro leaves, chopped
- 8 slices Monterey jack cheese
- 2 ripe tomatoes, sliced ¼-inch to ⅜-inch thick
- A couple of hours before cooking, crush the garlic cloves into about ½ cup of olive oil. Let sit at room temperature, stirring once or twice while the garlic infuses the oil.
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking at 400°F to 500°F. While the grill is heating, brush the garlic-infused olive oil onto the sliced sides of the hamburger buns and then sprinkle with salt.
- Recess the centers of the ground round patties (see our tip below on the perfect burger). Brush the patties on both sides with the remaining garlic-infused olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Slice the onions ¾-inch-thick (see our tip below on grilled onions) and sprinkle with salt.
- Cut the avocados in half lengthwise, working around and not cutting through the pit. Remove the pit and scoop out the meat into a large bowl. Mash them coarsely. Stir in the juice of 1 to 2 limes, the cilantro and salt to taste. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing the wrap down into the simple guacamole to keep oxygen out.
- Place the onion slices on the grill in a cooler area of the direct grilling zone. Turn after about 7 minutes. Add the burgers directly over the hottest part of the fire after about 3 minutes more. If you have special requests for temperature, start well-done burgers earlier and medium-rare burgers later. For medium burgers, cook, turning once, for about 12 to 15 minutes total. When you turn the burgers over, top each with a couple rings of grilled onion and then add a slice of cheese to melt over the top.
- As the burgers near completion, add the buns to the grill, cut-side-down. Cook until lightly toasted without drying the buns out. Remove the buns from the grill and spread the simple guacamole onto the bottom half of each. Transfer the cooked burgers to the buns on top of the guacamole. Add a slice of tomato and the top bun to each and serve.