Grandma Randazzo’s Chicken Gumbo
Recipe type: Side Dishes
- Turkey bones
- ½ cup bacon drippings
- 1 cup flour
- 2 large cooking onions, chopped
- 3 gloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 quarts turkey broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Hot sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- About 2 cups chopped turkey
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into bite size pieces
- Green onion tops
- After the turkey has been carved, put bones in plenty of water and boil slowly about 1½ hours or until remaining meat falls off the bone.
- Make a roux with bacon drippings and flour.
- Add onions, garlic and bell pepper, celery and cook until wilted.
- Add hot broth, salt and pepper, dash or two of hot sauce, bay leaves, basil and parsley.
- Cook about 1 hour.
- Add turkey and sausage and cook about 15 minutes longer.
- Add green onions and cook a few minutes longer.
- Serve with cooked rice and a dash of gumbo file’ in each dish, if desired.