Caramel Apple Butter Snickerdoodles
Serves: 3 dozen
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup apple butter
- 36 soft caramels, unwrapped
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cream of tartar, apple pie spice, and ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a stand or electric mixer, cream the butter and 1½ cups sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla followed by the apple butter. With the mixer on low, add the dry ingredients until incorporated.
- Chill the dough for about 2 hours in the refrigerator or 30-45 minutes in the freezer.
- Once the dough is chilled, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together ¼ cup sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon.
- Using a 5 cm cookie scoop, portion out the dough. Flatten each scoop of dough into a disk. Place a soft caramel in the middle and then wrap with dough. Roll into a ball and toss it in the cinnamon-sugar mixture until completely coated. Transfer the dough balls to the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden. Allow the cookies to rest on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Pack and store in an airtight container.