40 Cloves of Garlic Luscious Legs
Recipe type: Chicken
- 6 chicken leg quarters, thighs and drumsticks connected (about 3½ pounds)
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon plus a pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 40 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 1½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups chicken stock
- 3 to 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- Rinse the chicken leg quarters under cool running water and pat dry with paper towels. Season all over with ¾ teaspoon of the salt and ½ teaspoon of the black pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet and, when hot, add the chicken leg quarters and cook until browned on both sides, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add the onions and garlic to the skillet and season with ¼ teaspoon of the remaining salt and a pinch of the black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions have wilted and are lightly golden and the garlic cloves are caramelized slightly, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir to combine. Cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, rosemary and lemon juice to the skillet and season with the remaining salt and pepper.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and bring to a boil. Sprinkle the chicken with lemon zest.
- Cover the skillet and transfer to the oven. Cook for 30 minutes, or until chicken legs are cooked through and tender.
- Serve immediately, with some of the pan juices ladled over all and with Basmati Rice.